Bondi Beach and Baptisms

Sunday, May 23, 2010

In case I haven't said this enough yet, I love Australia. Everything is beautiful, and the people are so friendly. The thought of having to leave to go back and do my last classes (Campaigns nonetheless!) is so upsetting, mais c'est la vie. 

We scrambled out of the door this morning, into the car, and zipped on over to Peter's "touch footie" game. It was the final round, but sadly his team didn't win. I sat and chatted with Janette (Netta), who is one of the Burns' friend's girlfriend. In my typical observing manner, I managed to talk the entire time and did not really watch too much of the game -- whoops. Netta had her little white furry dog with her and it made me miss Lady and Missy back home in Houston.

After the game we headed into the city (at least I think it was "the city"-- I am constantly disoriented) and stopped by Harry's -- an iconic Australian pie shop. Then we did a very scenic drive around the rest of the city -- taking a tour past some of Peter and Johns' favorite Sydney night spots (cultural, I know). We maneuvered around the harbour and after about 20 minutes in the car arrived at Bondi Beach. For my entire life I thought that it was pronounced "Bondee" but learned that it is actually "Bond-eye". What an amateur American mistake for me to have made. Anyways, we parked the car and walked down the beach, of course taking 2,000 pictures and videos to capture our first steps on this world famous sand. After our frolicking on the beach, we split up, and Desi and John went to their friend Wayne's house, while Peter and I headed back to the city where we drove around waiting for Peter's girlfriend, Maree, to finish off a class project at "uni." While driving around, Peter dropped me off with Tim Tyndale, whom I met during his stay with the Burns in Austin, and his brother Liam, and we went to their church, which is called C3 Church. I had watched podcasts of the services before, so it was pretty neat to actually experience Phil Pringle in person. I thoroughly enjoyed the message, and Tim and Liam's little sister, Imogen, was getting baptized, which made it even more special.

After church, Tim, Liam, their "mum" and I all jumped in the car and drove to the Tyndale's house, where Imogen was celebrating her baptism and her departure tomorrow for her "gap year". She is going all over the world -- Tokyo, Europe, India, etc. (so jealous). Their house is incredible. It is on the beach, and we went down their "inclinator", which is a little carriage machine that you get in at the top of the hill and it takes you down to their house -- very cool. Imogen had a bunch of friends over, and Netta, Tim's girlfriend, was there, so it was a night of good conversation. I love meeting new people. Tim's mum served up quite a feast -- I even met a very interesting girl who is a vegetarian who gave me some advice about how to make good hummus and also recommended that I try ABC Spread, which is apparently Almonds, Brazil Nuts, and Cashews all put together in a delicious buttery spread. I definitely need to try that before I leave.

I just got home and everyone is headed to bed, so I am going to join them. I think that Maree is taking Desi and I on an adventure tomorrow so I need some rest!

G'dnight mates!

Lots of love,
Ailee

0 comments: